Welcome to NFCS K-12 Remote Learning
On this page, you will find learning plans for New Foundations Charter School K-8 and High Schools that will be in effect from March 18 – April 12, 2020. In addition to updates about the remote/online learning plans, technology supports, and community resources. Please also continue to check your emails as we will send regular communications through this channel as well.
K-8 Remote Learning Plan
Welcome to Remote Learning: Please read the letter and watch the video the explains the plans, resources and scheduled activities for our K-8 Remote Learning experience. If you still have questions please email the appropriate contact as listed below.
- Family Remote Learning and End-of-Q3 Letter (March 29)
- Remote Learning – Family Update Letter (March 23)
- K8 Parent Update Video (March 23)
- Intro. Remote Learning K8 Families Letter (March 17)
- Principal’s Remote Learning Video (March 17)
- Teacher Assignments by Grade Level & Subject
K-8 Student Grade Level Plans (click on titles)
- Kindergarten Lessons
- 1st Grade Lessons
- 2nd Grade Lessons
- 3rd Grade Lessons
- 4th Grade Lessons
- 5th Grade Lessons
- 6th Grade Lessons
- 7th Grade Lessons
- 8th Grade Lessons
- Reading Specialist Lessons
Resources for Student Support
- Speech Therapy At-Home Resources
- Occupational Therapy At-Home Resources
- English Language Learners At-Home Resources
- Optional Parent Daily Schedule (coming soon)
- Internet Essentials – COVID -19 Support
Online “Live” Assemblies & School-wide Activities
- Family Fun Activities
- NFCS K-8 CARES Video
- NFCS K-8 Spirit Week: March 30 – April 3, 2020
- Wednesday, April 1st @ 7pm – Storytime with Mr. Brady
- Zoom Log-in Link: https://zoom.us/j/691300143?pwd=cnFNWjdQZExxMjAxZG01a2g4Kzl0QT09
- Meeting ID: 691 300 143 and Password: 088926
Online Parent-Student Resource Videos
- Inviting Families to Virtual Drop-In without GMAIL Accounts
- How to Submit Google Form-Student Tutorial
Online Learning School-based Assistance:
- Virtual Help Desk Hours for Families with Mrs. Thomas
- NFCS K8 Family Help Ticket Form – https://forms.gle/w2UDrJNwpWoXGxYe6
Please click the help ticket form if you need to get in touch with administration, technology or technical support during our remote learning experience and a member of the team will reach out within 24 hours to follow-up. This will help us manage everyone’s needs in a timely manner.
High School Remote Learning Plan
High School Student Schedule:
During our school closure our students, parents, and staff are expected to use the Learning Management Platform of Canvas. Teachers have received instructional tools and strategies on how to deliver material to your students during this time. Student attendance will be monitored on Canvas and grades will be collected through this medium as well.
As a reminder here is the schedule of how teachers will be delivering content to your student:
- Monday, Wednesday – Periods 1, 2, and 3
- Tuesday, Thursday – Periods 4 /5, 6, and 7
- Friday – Assessments, discussions, conferencing through communicative means. Teachers will have office hours allocated at their selected time if your student needs any help. Office hours will vary between teachers.
Virtual Office Hours by our Canvas team will be monitored by Bryan Persons and James Millard. Set times are 2:00 – 3:00 PM on Wednesday and Friday. Use Google Meet at these agreed upon time slots for any direct questions you may have about this platform.
To join the video meeting
- Click this link: https://meet.google.com/jiw-ezzo-ans
- Otherwise, to join by phone, dial +1 424-360-0716 and enter this PIN: 707 672 429#
- Student Guide-Getting logged on the computer using Canvas
- Students getting access to your Canvas Course
- Parents and Students Canvas Letter
Online Learning School-based Assistance:
Bryan Persons firstname.lastname@example.org – Canvas Questions
James Millard email@example.com – Canvas Questions
Charlie Baltimore firstname.lastname@example.org – Logistics, Math, World Language, Social Students & Specials
Netta Sumner email@example.com – English, Science and Computer Science
Chris Laurence firstname.lastname@example.org – Special Education
Free Meal Opportunities in Philadelphia that allow you to pick up 2 meals a day at any of these schools between the hours of 9:00am-12:00pm. The list can be found here: https://www.phila.gov/2020-03-14-find-free-meals-and-safe-spaces-for-students-while-schools-are-closed/.
In addition, below please find alternative food resources that might be helpful. It’s best to call for hours, prior to visiting.
Feast of Justice
3101 Tyson St.
Grace of God Christian Center
9039 Eastview Rd.
Catholic Social Services
7340 Jackson St.
Holmecrest Residents Council
8133 Erdrick Dr.
Star of Hope Baptist Church
7212 Keystone St.
Other Food Access Resources :
- Food Hotline: 215-430-0556
Internet Access Resources: Comcast is offering 2 months of free internet through its Internet Essential’s Program: https://technical.ly/philly/2020/03/13/comcast-two-months-free-internet-essentials/
NFCS Quick Contacts
Please reach out if you have any questions, or need help with anything further. As the caring community, we are, we will get through this together!
Family Support/Food Access/Community Resources:
Maya Davenny, LCSW
School Social Worker
Technical Support Team:
- NFCS IT Support – email@example.com (available for 7:30am – 3:30pm)
- Technical Support Resources – NFCS Technical Support Guidelines for Digital Learning (pending approval)
Special Education Student Support
- Chris Laurence – firstname.lastname@example.org