New Foundations Charter School K-12, is investing in building our students into competent and well-rounded citizens, prepared to make meaningful contributions to their school , local and global communities. NFCS understands that, “Technology use allows many more students to be actively thinking about information, making choices, and executing skills than is typical in teacher-led lessons. Moreover, when technology is used as a tool to support students in performing authentic tasks, the students are in the position of defining their goals, making design decisions, and evaluating their progress” (Singh and Mean, U.S. Department of Education).
Therefore, we are making a commitment to provide our students access and experience in using 21st Century tools, which includes technology resources such as laptops. By providing students with access to laptops both at school and at home, we hope to assist in closing the digital divide and prepare our students for productive futures.
- To provide students with access to online and digital resources both at home and in the classroom.
- To allow teachers with the flexibility to differentiate instruction for students using a variety of tools.
- To provide students with 24-hour access to content resources.
- To build students 21st Century Skills so they can be well-rounded and possess transferable skills.
Below is a breakdown of the type of devices being provided to the participating grades. Additionally, the chart explains which grade levels will have the ability to take the device home and those grades that will have full access only at school and then return to their charging stations prior to dismissal.
7th Grade 8th Grade 8th Grade (PLTW) 9th-12th(PLTW) Lenovo ThinkPad 11e (Chromebooks) Lenovo ThinkPad 11e (Chromebooks) Lenovo ThinkPad 11e (Windows) Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga Laptop School Day Access School Day/At-home Access School Day/At-home Access School Day/At-home AccessAt-Home Access Requirements: Students that have the option to take their device home must meet the following requirements prior to receiving their laptop.
- Student & Parent/Guardian must attend (1) Information Session on August 24 (5pm/5:30pm) or September 13 (7:15pm)
- Review the NFCS One-to-One Laptop Program Policy, sign the pledge, return to Mrs. Thomas (7th/8th) or Mr. Persons (H.S.).
- Purchase a laptop case from the school (accessories order form) or present an approved case to Mrs. Thomas to carry the laptop in.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do students have to take the laptop home?If your student decides to opt out of taking the laptop home, then they will be required to lock it away in their homeroom classes. Additionally, the student would need to coordinate with their teachers on how they would access any online at-home activities/homework. The student also has the option of attending an after-school homework, using the local library technology services or using a personal device at home.
2. What are examples of approved laptop cases?
- Purchase the approved case from NFCS using the One-to-One Laptop Program Accessories Order Form, complete it and turn it in with exact change or check/money order.
- 7th/8th Grade Options
3. What type of restrictions will be put on the built-in camera on the laptops?The camera use will be disabled on all student computers. If a teacher requires students to access it for a specific assignment, arrangements will be made between that teacher and the IT department to gain temporary access.
4. Will students be allowed to access social media from their laptops?The same filters and site restrictions placed at school will apply on your student’s laptop outside of the building. Therefore social media access will not be allowed.5. Will students be allowed to personalize their laptop exterior?Students are not allowed to put stickers, adhesive case protectors or shells on the devices. They are also not allowed to cover up the gold bar-code on each device, which is part of our inventory tagging system. We expect students to keep their device in their case when not using it or charging it. Students are welcome to decorate the laptop bags once they purchase it.6. When will the students receive the laptops?
- Middle School Students: Students are required to return the One-to-One Laptop Program Policy Pledge before they will receive their device to use in-school or at home. Our first in-school distribution days will be September 6th and 7th, therefore forms must be returned before then. Laptops for 8th graders will go home after September 13th (last parent information session).
- High School PLTW Students: High School Students are required to return the One-to-One Laptop Program Policy Pledge before they receive their device to use in-school or at home. Their laptops will be disbursed between September 5th – 9th during their PLTW course time.
7. Do we have to purchase all the items on the accessories order form?
You do not have to purchase the laptop bag, charger and pen at one time. The update form reflects that you only use this form to order your “initial/1st laptop bag” from the school you can keep. And this is form is also to be used if you “loose/stolen” laptop charger or pen. All laptops come with a charger and all high school PLTW students receiving laptops receive a Thinkpad pen.
8. Are students allowed to decorate the laptop hard shell with a case and/or stickers?
No, you might not use adhesives, other stickers and/or additional cases to the protect the laptop other than you bag. Any damaged endured to the case as a result will result in replacement fees for the student/parent to pay, with possible consequences as outlined by level offenses in the student/parent handbook.