NFCS Wellness Policies on Physical Activity & Nutrition
The New Foundations Charter School Wellness Policies on Physical Activity and Nutrition that highlights the efforts of the school to insure the caring community is working together to develop, implement, monitor, and review nutrition and physical activity initiatives, activities and programming.
Click Here to download: NFCS Wellness Policy (Updated 120116)
McKinney–Vento Homeless Assistance Act
The McKinney-Vento Act is a federal law that defines homeless children as “individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence”. If you live in any of the following situations, you may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act:
- In a shelter
- In a motel or campground due to the lack of an alternative adequate accommodation
- In a car, park abandoned building, or bus or train station
- Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship
- Unaccompanied youth which is defined as “a youth not in the physical custody of parent or guardian”
Eligible students have the right to:
- Receive a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
- Continue attending their school of origin if that is their preference and is feasible. (If the school district believes that the school selected is not in the student’s best interest, then the district must provide a written explanation and inform of rights to appeal its decision.)
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if requested.
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students according to the students’ needs.
If you have questions about eligibility for services or need assistance accessing resources, please contact Maya Davenny, LCSW McKinney-Vento Liaison, at 215-624-8100 ext 2232
Website Resources: https://www.philasd.org/homeless/about/about-mckinney-vento/
Current Student Resources